At the Yoga Patch, adults can enjoy a variety of different styles and levels of yoga classes. Classes offer benefits such as:
- Breathing techniques
- Emphasis on being more present
- Increased flexibility, balance and strength
- Improved body alignment
- Stress relief
FOR KIDS and FAMILIES
- Kids and Family Yoga is presented in a non-competitve environment and has many similar benefits to adult classes.
- Kids can benefit from yoga a number of different ways depending on their age. For example, younger kids can benefit through creative expression by making sounds with their poses while older kids can learn about better alignment and endurance while working in small groups and/or partner poses.
Each Class runs between 60 minutes to 75 minutes depending on the class and instructor.
- Hatha Flow: This class is a fusion of proper alignment, and elements of a Vinyasa class while encouraging balance, strength and calmness. Open to all levels.
- Beginners/Intermediate: A nice blend of Beginners and general Hatha class to encourage those who are ready to advance in their current practice. This is a great class to develop and practice proper alignment and techniques. Perfect for beginners and continuing practitioners.
- Stress Relief Yoga: This class will help sooth your tension while refresh your energy with slower and mindful poses. Great for those seeking an opportunity to unwind and release daily stress.
- Chair Yoga: gentle way to practice Yoga while sitting or using a chair for support. Whether youï¿½re physically fit or physically challenged this class offers the same elements of Balance, Flexibility, Strength, Focus and Relaxation.
- Vinyasa Mix: An intelligent blend of Vinyasa and other yoga styles rooted in Hatha tradition. This class moves in a comfortable pace while guiding you to a deeper practice. Open to all levels.
- Intermediate/Advance: Combination of Vinyasa, Hatha Flow and Ashtanga poses and strength conditioning to encourage a more self-sustainable body. Previous Yoga experience is recommended. Be prepared to play and sweat.
- PreNatal: Join other expecting mothers in this comfortable, nourishing setting. This class can help relieve the aches and pains of pregnancy, from morning sickness to early labor pains through modified poses for each stage of pregnancy. We will also include breathing techniques and pelvic floor exercises that you may find valuable during labor and delivery are. No previous yoga experience is necessary, partners are welcome. Classes are based on a Session enrollment.
- Restorative: Treat yourself to a relaxing and gentle yoga practice while renewing your energy. This class combines soft music, slow pace, and gentle supportive poses to complete a full body-mind experience. Witness how this tranquil setting will allow you to receive the poses rather than doing them.
- Gentle Hot Yoga: A gentle 90 degree atmosphere where we work on a set of synchronized poses to help sweat out toxins and increase balance, mental and physical strength while reducing stress. In each pose we dedicate more time to connect with our breath while moving deeper into the stretch. Water and a towel are highly recommended. Be prepared to sweat.
- Sunrise Yoga: Start your morning doing yoga as the Sun rises. This class incorporates Sun Salutations with awakening standing and balance sequences as well a blend of invigorating stretches to start your peaceful day.
FOR KIDS AND FAMILIES
Each class runs for 45 minutes to one hour, depending on the age group, and incorporates breathing techniques, poses, positive affirmations as well as relaxation. Classes are based on a Session enrollment.
- Kids General: Ages 6yrs-12yrs+ This class helps to inspire kids within a broader age range to enjoy the practice of yoga together. Like other Yoga Patch Kids classes, we will incorporate all the same collective benefits including: Strength, Flexibility, Coordination, Focus and Relaxation. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Parent & Tot: Parent with child walking - 3 years. This is a fun and welcoming class that encourages childrenï¿½s creativity and appetite for knowledge. In this playful class we combine simple yoga poses with interactive games, songs, props and stories that exercise social, sensory and motor skills while increasing flexibility. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Youth I: Ages 4yrs-6yrs (parent in-room participating optional). This inspiring class encourages self-expression as well as social skills and self confidence. Kids are encouraged to strengthen their bodies as they learn how to focus through breathing and relaxation techniques. Kids engage in singing, role- playing and drawing while in a team setting. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Youth II: Ages 7yrs-9yrs. This class helps to improve strength, flexibility, and coordination. Kids can learn how to focus and calm themselves with breathing exercises, quiet games and relaxation techniques. They will also learn appreciation and respect for themselves as well as others through fun poses, group games, and beginning anatomy. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Tweens: Ages 10yrs-12yrs. This class aids in building more strength and flexibility using more physically challenging postures and adult yoga-like sequences. Games and activities are still present to promote self-confidence, awareness and control.. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Teens: Ages 13 yrs +. This class feels and looks more like an adult yoga class as it transitions away from kids yoga. There is a strong focus on building inner and outer strength and flexibility. The class encourages positive self awareness and self-esteem as it relates to on and off their yoga mat. Classes are 45 minutes.
- Family: Parent(s) with kid(s) 4yrs +. This class invites families to learn and practice the joy of Yoga. Games, music, self-expression, partner poses and team work keeps this class fun and interactive. Classes are 45 minutes.
Please see our schedule for more information.
Owner and Lead Kids and Family yoga Instructor, Caren is a Seattle native and currently lives in the Kansas City area with her family. She graduated with her Associate's in Nutrition and then her Bachelor of Arts in Recreation Therapy, which later led her into the fitness industry. Several years ago she developed a love for yoga and enjoys practicing a variety of styles including Iyengar, Vinyasa and Ashtanga.
In 2006, Caren completed 225 Teacher Training hours with Pacific Yoga in Seattle, WA, under Theresa Elliot & Kathryn Payne. Within the Pacific Yoga program she studied Iyengar-style as well as an in-depth study of the Yoga Sutras. Additionally, she holds Yoga Fit certificates in: Level 1, YogaFit Kids, and PreNatal as well as a more extensive Teacher Training Program from Karma Kids Yoga in New York City, NY. In 2010 she completed a 40 hour Teacher Training in Ashtanga with Kathleen and Wade Mortenson.
Her commitment to teaching yoga has been further enhanced since becoming a mother. She continues to discover the interest and playfulness Yoga has to offer. She believes that Yoga is deep within all of us, and stillness can help connect all living things.
Joanie has been practicing yoga for over 15 years and teaching for the last 4 years. She teaches an eclectic blend of yoga based in the Vinyasa tradition. She practices a teaching style that meets the needs of each individual student, be they beginner or experienced practitioner. She holds Yoga Fit certificates in Levels 1, 2, and 3, as well as Yoga Fit Kids.
Joanie believes that yoga is a journey that is ever-changing. She enjoys the meditative aspect of yoga and the unlimited potential for growth, both physically and spiritually, that the practice offers.
Theresa Goodman is a mother of four boys. While she was pregnant with her third child she felt that she needed to find something that was good for the mind and body. This is when she started her yogic journey five years ago she and her husband picked up a book "Yoga the Iyengar Way". From there her true calling became clear, to become a yoga teacher and also help others feel good! Yoga is a way of life and embodies the entire being. Yoga is an art and an expression of honoring the past present and future. Theresa completed her 500 Hr certification from Yoga School of Therapeutics here in Lenexa, Kansas. She is also an herbalist and a gardener.
Maria, a long-time yoga practitioner, graduated in 2009 and holds a certificate for 230 hours of teacher training from The School of Therapeutics in Overland Park, Kansas. She studied Iyengar & Restorative and has personally practiced a blend of other styles. She is a mother of five and believes that yoga offers an opportunity to slow down and become more in tune with your body, mind and soul. In addition, Maria has also attended specific workshops in anatomy, neck and shoulders, and the art of Svasana, and is currently pursuing her Yoga Fit Level 1.
Kristinaï¿½s journey into yoga was sporadic at 1st covering at least a decade. Each time she came back with more of a personal interest. In 2007 she sought out yoga to help her cope with the stress in her life. Kristinaï¿½s practice has continued to deepen since that time to include the spiritual aspects of yoga and has brought about many life changing benefits in the process. As a single full time mother of two, yoga has brought much needed balance and peace to her hectic life. In hopes of sharing this gift with others, Kristina took her yoga instructor training in Sept. 2009 and is a registered yoga instructor at the 200 hr level with The Yoga Alliance. Kristina is also a personal trainer and has plans to pursue her holistic health practitioner license and continue to learn and grow on her yogic journey all the while sharing her experiences with anyone and everyone along the way!
We are a Community Partner for Girl Scouts of northeast Kansas and northwest Missouri. We host private workshops for programs such as: Stress to Success, Fun and Fit, Stress Less, Girl Sports, and My Body. Please contact the studio for more details: (816) 268-4660 or firstname.lastname@example.org